My Tarnished Halo

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Little Victories

So I'm coming to enjoy the little victories for what they are and not get my hopes up for more, (though if more comes my way I'm willing to make accomodations!) Tonight was soccer, and God love it wouldn't you know that it's like 100 degrees out today. The boys' YMCA games were actually cancelled due to heat and fear of thunderstorms. Nice combo I know. But us women still play rain or shine. The sun wasn't out but it was still hot and humid. That's a change as normally it's hard to breathe because the heat sucks every little droplet of moisture from your body then continues to nag it.

So there's this one chic who is always telling me where to stand, who to cover, what to do next. I know in my heart she's just trying to help but sometimes it seems she's nagging because she's not doing it to anyone else on the team. Tonight I got my chance. The other team was short so I volunteered to go play on their side. And I was defense to her forward position. I took the ball from her numerous times, blocked her shots and plain got in her freaking way. There was no way I was letting her get the best of me. She was getting upset I could tell and she kept telling me "Stay outta my way Shelly!" making it look to everybody else like she was kidding. But at the end I got my little victory. The team I played for won by 1 but that isn't even what made my night. She complimented me with "Good defense Shelly." I was walking on air.

And I have one other victory I feel like sharing tonight too. It's been 9 mos. since my parent's divorce. My Dad came and watched me play tonight. He's been coming to my games nearly every week. But this night was different because as we were leaving he said "Happy Birthday tomorrow honey. I love you." And we hugged...it wasn't the least bit uncomfortable. We never had that before. My Dad and I are closer now and we can tell eachother "I love you" like it's no thing. But it is to me. Two little victories in one night? Huge!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home