My Tarnished Halo

Monday, September 03, 2007

Comfort Foods

We all have them. It could be a dish of familiarity. It could be that special dish you save as a "reward" for a bad day or a job well done. When stressed, some of us turn to our comfort foods. Many of us associate our comfort foods with childhood or good home-cooking.

I had my comfort food today. Good ol' warm huckleberry dumplings with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. It just takes me straight back to childhood. After school I'd walk to Grandma's and she'd have a pot on the stove simmering huckleberry dumplings and the whole place smelled wildly of berry. She'd tell me how she lovingly picked each fresh berry in the mountains, all the while watching out for hungry black bears. Then she'd always serve us up as much as I wanted, with pure vanilla ice-cream that melted right as it touched the berry-and-dough concoction. It was like a taste of heaven by way of bowl. Then Grandma would sit down with me and I could talk about my day at school or complain about how strict my parents were or how hard it was having a brother. I always felt better after I left Gram's with an empty conscious and a full belly.

Grandma hasn't lost her touch. Her huckleberry dumplings still work like a charm today and I'm feeling rather peaceful and blessed she's still around to cook for us all and there to listen to me bare my soul when I need it most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home