My Tarnished Halo

Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Lady Makes Me Laugh

I took my Grandma out last night. She's a widow and she can't drive anymore so we took our night on the town by stopping at the local coffee shop and hitting Target. She and I share the same taste for fine coffee drinks and can't go by the place without stopping. And we go all-out, whipped cream, coconut flakes, usually not decaf. But tonight since it was so late we both went decaf. Or so we thought. I was up until about 2am pondering if it was for sure decaf in my drink or if it was just the sugar and caffeine in the chocolate?

Here we are laughing hysterically and having a ball (that's how she would describe it) all the time griping about men of now and then. Seriously I shouldn't get her started. It's scary how much my husband and my departed Grandfather have in common, the good and the bad. The way her white hair dances on her head like cotton in a windstorm gives her animation.

She keeps telling me the story of how she was on a cruise with my Grandpa when they found out a sweet, chubby little baby girl had entered their world. The ship had docked so the passengers could explore the town and they called home to see if there was any news and there was! My Grandma said everyone in the town and on that ship likely heard her yelling "It's a girl!" because like myself she has 3 boys. One of her sons gave her her first Grandson, but when I came she got "her girl." I can picture her hair then, not so white but mousy brown like my own done up is some big bouffant waving back and forth as she jumps and waves her arms at the news.

I went to bed amped. Whether it was the drink or just a raucous night with Grams, I hope that I'm not the only Granddaughter out there doing this with her Grandma. I'm not sitting by her side seeking out the lost arts of knitting or quilting. We just chat it up, drink good coffee and share stories that sometimes intertwine and overlap and can be eerily familiar. You'll find me chauffeuring her to the Goodwill or toting our best Bingo dobbers to the local parlor. It doesn't really matter what we're doing. It's the fact that of all her Grandkids now, I'm the only one that does this with her. We have this bond. We both have can't-sit-still-itis. Again, maybe just the coffee ha ha. BUT I know that I won't ever be regretful for not spending enough time with her and not making the most out of every minute when I'm with her.

4 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

I just called my Grandma and my Grandmommy...I love your relationship. So cool, you are!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Kylee said...

I know how you feel I too am extremely close with my grandma's!
You are a great writer!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Elisa said...

That was cool. I used to be close to my grandmother. I called her "Mima" - she's from Austria. I learned a lot from her. Unfortunately, my family is odd and we're no longer close. Your blog makes me slightly jealous and slightly guilt-ridden.

i'm glad u get to go have coffee drinks with your grandma and she remembers your birth with such pleasure. That's sooooo cool.

Elisa

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger aangelgoddess said...

I never had the ability to be close to either of my grandmas, so I shall live vicariously through you and continue to promote the close relationship that my dd and her "Granny Nancy" share.

LT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home