My Tarnished Halo

Monday, July 25, 2005

Time Away Mommies?

This one is for the cute little Mommas! Think back to when the last time you had a genuine break away from the house and kids and family. Mine was of course this weekend in Seattle, but it was a struggle pretty much from the start to convince DH that he could handle three boys for the whole weekend on top of trusting me while I was away, and maybe even not so much trusting me but trusting that some random guys weren't going to hit on me and I'd be too unsuspecting to see their conniving ways. I just wanted some time to shop and try on clothes without children poking eachother in the dressing room. Time to eat my food before it gets cold! A moment to get into deep convo with my best friend before hearing "I'm hungry!" or "He just ate something off the floor!" I really had to stand up for myself to get this. But at times I felt guilty or just plain wrong that I wasn't doing the motherly, responsible thing by just staying home and dealing. Did I take the easy way out? You bet your buns I didn't! I got a shload of CARP but I went and enjoyed myself to the best of my enjoying ability.

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback here. I feel like there are some mixed feelings floating around amongst my family. Behind my back even. I can't understand why I feel like I left without their blessing. Isn't it "If Momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy?" Maybe I need some insight into the other side of this...

6 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

Well...I CERTAINLY think you did the right thing. You have to recharge those batteries once in a while. My MIL constantly tells me that I abandon DH and Elena...But, you know what? SCREW YOU...I don not abandon. I trade a couple of hours of abandonment after the kid is in bed, for a happier mother and wife the next day. So be it!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger shopspacemonkey said...

I think you deserve a break!! I know my MIL would be negative about a girls weekend, but she is a martyr. I know that this is a fellow mommy's perspective, but don't give your much deserved break another thought!! And you know what...do it again next year.

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Well, you have more balls than me. In theory Tony will say yeah, go ahead. But when it gets down to doing it, he's like "Ask my Mom if she'll watch her". Please, You're her father. I am finding out that my dh was mothered way too long. I'm going on vacation without him, but I'm taking Rebecca. Honestly though, I feel guilty without her. I miss her terribly too.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Elisa said...

I see nothing wrong with your taking a break from being Mommy to three boys.

We all need a break - i just happen to get mine at my boring job 5 days a week, so time with Emma is cherished.

I've been wanting to go get a pedicure forever and never seem to have the time. The fumes in those places make me loathe to take Emma.

Glad you had a good time! I love reading your blog. It's great.

Elisa

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Precie said...

Heck, my MIL would buy me the plane ticket...she babysits for us a lot to give us some time to ourselves, and she sees firsthand how much energy and attention Matthew involves.

You did the right thing, no matter what your family thinks. We all need a little time for ourselves. That doesn't make us selfish or mean we don't love our children...

And truly, would these family members be as critical if it were DH who went away for the weekend?

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Hooray for girl time!! A happy mommy is definitely a better mommy, TRUST ME!! Great blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home