My Tarnished Halo

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Online Deal or Steal?

As a bargain hunter, I feel compelled to share my thoughts on an article by MSN money, When that Online Deal becomes a Steal. I am one person...one shopper. But there are millions of people out there who make purchases on the internet every single day. It's time for online businesses to step it up a notch. Match what you are doing in your Brick & Mortar (B&M) stores. In fact, use the internet to make it better.

As a consumer, I want businesses to know that I feel that standing behind the listed price, whether online or at a B&M store is a sign of good customer service. If you think there is any doubt whatsoever that you will not be able to follow through with an offer, don't even list it. If there are restrictions on your coupon, they better be clearly marked or stated. Frequent technical glitches? Time for a new program/programmer. Maybe proof-readers. Another thing that would greatly reduce people trying to take advantage of special offers is real time inventory. If I buy something off of your site, reduce your inventory by 1. This way when folks come to take advantage of a popular item, when it's sold out, consumers know right away and no one will have to get the dreaded "cancelled order." If you are frustrated with people using multiple e-mail addresses to take advantage of offers, link each e-mail address to one and only one household address. Instead of being upset with the consumer, check your own systems first. Correct the glitches on your end and learn from mistakes. If the deal is out there, people will find and use it, and more importantly, SHARE IT.

Some companies that should take a lesson from this.

MyPublisher: You offered rewards for referral. We referred people. You took away the rewards offered after we'd already done what you asked of us. You LOST BUSINESS over it. You should have stood by what you offered.

ModernMom: Offered a selection of sponsor gifts upon paying for Club membership, clearly stating on the page the value of the gifts. Then strangely enough, when members didn't receive the promised gifts, they wanted to cancel membership. You should have been smart enough to refund those unhappy customers right away instead of promising to ship the gifts out knowing damn well that you didn't have the inventory to back them up. You LOST MEMBERS over it.

Sears: Offered a deal online for Mickey Mouse TVs and didn't follow through. Cancelled some orders while some people were allowed to pick up the deal. INCONSISTENT.

The following is my own personal list of DON'T GO TO companies, clearly lacking in the customer service department. I can think of numerous other occasions where prices clearly showing online and even after order confirmation were later cancelled. I've also had bad experiences with many of these companies just having my e-mails returned. Spiegel, Avon, Breck's, Brylane Home, HSN, VistaPrint.

I will give kudos to the following companies, and they come with my highest recommendations. They stood by their offers and will have my repeat business. DO SHOP here and you will be pleased with the customer service. Bluefly, No Nonsense, Shutterfly, Dale & Thomas, JCPenney, One Step Ahead.

Please feel free to share your customer service stories here, or devote a blog to it. I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. We as consumers make more of an impact when we come together.

3 Comments:

At 3:56 AM, Blogger Elisa said...

Great article, or blog entry, whatever and soooo true! I used to work in customer service and i can never understand why so many people are rude and why so many companies don't go above and beyond to please the customer.

Like when you are the grocery store and the clerk cannot bother to even say thank you or give you 30 seconds to put your change in your wallet. THAT is soooo rude!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Watty said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Watty said...

Sorry wanted to add on lol

Hey girly *SSSSNNNNIIFFFFFFF* lol

I put the same thing on my page. While I get the whole 'error' thing, I don't get sometimes why they can't honor their mistakes too. I mean for example....the printers they showed on bargain board last night disappeared right after I was trying to order them. I'd REALLY hoped if they had issues they'd pull them that quickly. (I mean last night and today I had a different printer in cart, then bam...disappeared!)

Then like BBW with their clearance stuff, if you don't have it in stock, stop showing those things tempting us instead of waiting til you 'put it in your cart' and it not show. We're not THAT fast (are we? :) )

I've been in customer service/cashier stuff forever and it does kill me when people are snobby and rude and you're being as nice as possible, though sometimes we're just not able to give stuff away since its literally not our store to give.

Also on the other end though, as Elisa said, I HATE it when you go somewhere and the clerk doesn't even say ANYTHING other than a total (and sometimes not even that much) That just makes us be even MORE polite like when ds will hold a door open....I'll say something like "THANK YOU SOL..you're SO POLITE" really loud. He's a kid...if you're not going to show politeness to a kid and show manners, how should he take that for later in life? Grrrr, anyway...sorry, in ramble mode tonight.

BTW, I don't see any shekky names on the trivia lately

 

Post a Comment

<< Home