My Tarnished Halo

Monday, January 09, 2006

So Bad at Small Talk


When you run into an acquaintance at the grocery store or the local diner, how do you evade awkward silence? I must not be very wordy lately because the silence comes and I use some lame excuse like the boys are really not shoppers to escape from the situation. Hell sometimes I wish I wouldn't have even run into so and so. I know I'm not the only one guilty of pretending not to notice someone who is inevitably the awkward silent type! So what exactly is the key to making conversation with someone you didn't expect to see? What are your old standby topics? Are you the duck and dodger like myself? Now you know if I dodge you at Denny's or duck behind a clothes rack at Target, please don't take it personally! My words don't come so easily in person.

3 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Blogger shopspacemonkey said...

I am a dodger. I also hate going to "mingle" parties, you know, where you have to mingle with dh's client's wives and so on. UGH. My only strategy is to ask questions. People love to talk about themselves.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Tess said...

I am definitely a dodger. In that sense, it was a relief to move to a new city where I didn't know anyone, but now I'm starting to run into people again.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Elisa said...

i could talk to a wall! i'm so nosey. I always ask a bunch of questions, ya know, like "what have u been doing?" blah blah blah - other people fascinate me for some reason.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home