My Tarnished Halo

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Adoring You



Sitting on the hood of your Ford.
Sun reflecting radiant highlights in my hair.
Legs intricately intertwined.
Sipping wine coolers.
Adoring you.

Sitting on the front porch.
Sun glimmers on soft golden brown hair.
Stretching like a lazy cat.
Sipping Diet Coke.
Adoring you.

Sitting in the porch swing.
Sun catches glimpses of silver dancing in my hair.
Aged hands embraced, resting between us.
Sipping coffee.
Still, adoring you.


I wrote this poem for Jason, back when we were dating. I was imagining the progression of time in our lives. Even then I knew I wanted to grow old with him. I love the wrinkles at the corners of his eyes when he smiles. I love how he once dressed as an old man for Halloween and was just too cute. I love how he told me he'd wear a newsboy cap just for me. I love how he told me he'd walk me around the neighborhood if I have to be in a wheelchair someday. I love how we see ourselves spoiling our grandkids every chance we get. I love that no matter what, he will be my side. Because of that, I have many reasons to look forward to getting older.

3 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

*sobbing*

I love your poem. I get so emotional when I see old people together. It rarely happens anymore because so many throw in the towel when a hardship surfaces.

Here's to many more happy years together!

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Kylee said...

Aww so sweet!!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Elisa said...

Great poem!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home