My Tarnished Halo

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Under in Seconds


We've been making good use of the pool at Mom's place. Weston is getting more and more confident in his skills. In fact, he was getting downright foxy tonight showing off. The problem is, he can't touch bottom. So tonight when he tried to hold onto the pool noodle with one arm and it slipped right out, he slid quietly into the water. I didn't hear him go under and I was about 10 ft. away. Luckily we had three adults watching the three kids in the pool. My Mom yelled to me "Under, under!" and as fast as my legs could carry me in the water I was moving towards Weston. He must have only been under 10 seconds or so from start to finish but that's enough to fill up with water and he coughed and spat and gagged so hard when I pulled him up that he puked. He was shaken but that will lead him to develop a respect for the water. Thank goodness swim lessons start tomorrow!

Please be careful with your little ones this summer. It takes a split second for a child to slide under the water. It might not even make a sound. It was like the water just swallowed him up in one swift gulp. Had he not had watchful eyes on him, I shudder to think... And while we're on summer safety, take along sunscreen. It only takes a few minutes to slather it on and by starting the habit when they're little it becomes a lifetime insurance against the sun's harmful rays.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Vanessa said...

OMG, thank goodness he is okay!! He will do great in swim lessons, and he will have a lot of fun!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home