My Tarnished Halo

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Flashback

How he probably remembers me.


What do you do when you run into someone you went to highschool with? Do you ignore them? Duck and hide? Make eye contact and force a slim smile? You know on your worst day (sick, dirty kiddos/ponytail hair/no make-up/sweats) that you are destined to run into someone from your past right? It's like the toast always falls butter side-down. Like picking an apple from the crate and biting the only one with the worm. These things just happen.

The other evening after not having been out of the house all day, I decided to go for a ride with my husband to visit his Dad. You know that feeling; anything to get away from spilled milk and broken Cheerios lost in a sea of Legos. I stepped out feeling pretty crappy but figured "Hey it's late, I won't see anyone." Ok...stained jeans. White frumpy T-shirt. I even whipped out the socks with soccer slides. A drab tan crocheted sweater thingy that looks like my Grandma's and not mine topped off the outfit. Then I slung a black didn't-match-my-outfit purse across my chest. Wait, wait. Add a Scooby-Doo Band-Aid to this ensemble. UN-HOT, and not in a cool sort of way.

We were about to walk through the gym by where DH's Dad was going to be and I could tell when I walked in that HE was across the room. The guy I once found absolutely boyishly cute in junior high/high school. The guy who gave me my first real kiss. I hung my head in shame but there was no avoiding a meet and greet. He shook my husband's hand, and shook mine, band-aid and all. Back in school we would have hugged. I almost had the urge to do it. We made small talk for a moment or two and I pressed forward. I about melted in all over my soccer slides.

That was it. I could've stayed and chatted longer without the distraction of kids or DH, and especially if I wouldn't have looked like I just woke up and put clothes on in the dark. I felt bad. I'm hoping my impression was not as bad as it FELT. At least the kids were clean this time. And he'd had on volleyball kneepads and a little weight too.

I wish I could live by this little saying. "Everyday you should walk out of the house prepared to run into an ex." cuz damnit, it will happen.

1 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Blogger shopspacemonkey said...

Ugh! Words to live by. I have had this happen a few times. I feel for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home