My Tarnished Halo

Monday, October 10, 2005

I met HIM

To my utter surprise, Mom brought he whose face shall remain a square (see my entry That's NOT my Dad (http://mytarnishedhalo.blogspot.com/2005/09/thats-not-my-dad.html) to my Grandma's yesterday. The whole family was over for spaghetti dinner. It took us all by surprise as she strolled up hand in hand with NOT my Dad. While we knew it was coming, but just out of the blue like that was quite wrong of her methinks. I was happily stuffing my face with some bread and homemade applesauce minutes before my soccer game. Unbeknownst to me, there lurked an unknown presence in the driveway. I saw Mom's silver Honda pull up in the driveway. Then someone yelled "She brought him!" and I about choked on my toast. A knock at the door. There was nowhere to hide. I picked up C.J. (babies make a nice wall) and continued to sit in heart-pounding misery.

He came bearing pie. He was very feminine- just the way he stood and moved and even talked. "I brought pi-h. No one can resist lemon meringue pi-h." he uttered as he stepped into the door. My Grandma embraced him in a hug, trying to make the most unwelcome person in the room feel welcome. My Mom introduced each one of us nervously standing around the room eyeing each other. My cousins and I have this thing we do where we can make eye contact and know exactly what the other is thinking and we sort of giggle to each other. What we were clearly thinking was "gay." I wanted to find the nearest exit and go throw up my applesauce and toast. I don't know if it was worse that he came over by surprise or that he was clearly not anything like I had guessed him to be. I muttered that I better be going early to soccer due to construction and I left.

First impressions were made. What was said and left unsaid spoke clearly enough for me.

1 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

What a difficult spot to be in...sounds like you were pleasant and took your leave. Smart woman, you.

Hh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home