My Tarnished Halo

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

That's NOT my Dad


My Mother has been seeing a married man. She broke off her own marriage to build a relationship with someone who had a wife and two daughters of his own. Her boyfriend is now divorced. They are both now technically single and can begin a new relationship as divorcees. Since the final papers were signed, she and her younger man-friend went on some celebratory vacation to Idaho. Idaho? Isn't that where Napoleon Dynamite takes place? Two words. Small potatoes.

I was just talking to her on the phone yesterday. I called mostly to tell her about Connor's eye doc appt. (It turns out he's farsighted btw.) I had no intention of asking about where she was all weekend. I heard it from another family member. Mom never gives details of her life out freely anymore and frankly, I just don't wanna know anyway. So I didn't ask a single thing about her. I just filled her in on my life. And out of nowhere she says "We had a good time in Idaho. Went on that dinner cruise on Lake Coeur D'alene....(long pause).....I threw my back out this weekend." Oh geez what the heck? I don't even wanna know. Change the subject quickly. Can't think of anything to say. "Uh, errr...Connor learned a new word this weekend. It's stinker."

Right now, my Grandma is praying that we all accept this other man in Mom's life, because he is making her happy. But I'm still having a difficult time with it, mostly because he knew exactly what he was doing from the get-go (breaking up two marriages) and he still went ahead and pursued it. She's not blameless either. I know it takes two to tango, but sigh.

I need to step into some different shoes. Should I be thinking of my Mom's happiness above all else? Am I blowing this out of proportion like I have a tendency to do? Look at the smile on her face.

2 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

I've never been in that postition. Never knew my real dad. But I can guarantee that my girls would never accept any man other than their daddy. I secretly hope they'd never accept another mommy.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Elisa said...

My mother was sort of like that (i don't know if she still is b/c i have zero to do with her). . .

Anywho, Emma has a new word, too! Stinky - she's been saying it for a few weeks though.

I think that's funny how u fit "stinker" into the convo w/your mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home