My Tarnished Halo

Monday, September 19, 2005

Meet Gordon


He's your everyday friendly gnome, garden type, 1 each. He stands proudly in his sea green fashion showing off his catch of the day, the same stone fish he caught 17 years ago. The boys have affectionately named him "Gordon." He quietly stands guard at his post at the end of our deck.

This morning, I was putting Connor into his stroller just inside the house and I heard the boys whispering and chattering amongst themselves on the deck while they waited for us so I listened in. They are admiring Gordon's chubby cheeks and pointed hat. They point out that he's been knocked over and now has a hole in his boot which they call his war wound. And then I hear it...Weston says "Gordon says we should go jump in mud puddles." Uh, the gnome is telling them what to do? I'm giggling as I peek through the crack of the door. Both boys are now standing up on the tallest ledge of the deck urging each other to jump off because Gordon did it! Just as Weston squats down to leap, I spring from behind the front door and put a stop to the daring feat.

On the way to school I explain that while Gordon has quite the plastic personality, he's a friendly gnome- he wouldn't want them to get hurt. It was just two clever brothers trying to get each other into trouble. I deliver the boys to school. When I walk back up the driveway, there's that mischievous little gnome smiling his rotund cheeky smile and I can't help but giggle and greet him..."Hey little fella."

1 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Tess said...

I need a gnome for my garden! But not an evil one.

Tess

 

Post a Comment

<< Home