My Tarnished Halo

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Holy geezers people!

Taking a look back at my 1000th post on "Let's Get This Thread to 1000!" those are my infamous words. And I stand in front of the mirror and say them once again. I can't believe I forgot to tell this story. On Weston's first day of kindergarten, I spotted my first gray hair. I was happily arranging my hairs atop my head to drop the kid off and make a good first-day-of-school-I'm-not-that-late-disorderly-Mom impression. There it was sticking out amongst a head full of mousy brown hair. It wasn't very long. But it sure stood out. I kept thinking "I'm only 26." I must have really earned that baby. So since I first noticed it on Wes's first day of school, I'm going to officially thank him for it. He's the bull in a china closet. Acrobat/ninja/cliff diver/stunt man in training. Hobbies include defying gravity and copying stunts as seen on television. Has had two broken arms already. Thinks his shoes really make him run faster, etc. you get the picture. And gray hair, no I will not pluck you, after all I hear that plucking one makes two grow back lol.

Look at this Muslim belief:
1646. Reported `Amr bin Shu`aib, on the authority of his father and grandfather that the Prophet (PBUH) said, "Do not pluck out grey hair, for they are the Muslim's light on the Day of Resurrection.''[Abu Dawud, At-Tirmidhi and An-Nasa'i].

Commentary: Plucking of gray hair, usually a sign of old age, should be avoided because besides the benefit which one gets from them in the Afterlife, they are a means of respect in this world.

On that note, Grandma I have new respect for the silver nest atop your head. Wear it proudly woman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home