My Tarnished Halo

Friday, March 24, 2006

8 Blessed Years


I'm sitting here on the eve of my 8th anniversary, but not with my DH. He's at an arena football game. At first I was upset that he'd not even remembered that March 24th wasn't just opening night for the local arena football team. He showed me the season tickets with such enthusiasm. I'm pretty sure I burst his bubble when I pointed out that we'd be marking 8 years together on the same night as the big opening game. Sure that's a BIG accomplishment for us, but from the guy's perspective it's opening night of which there is only one per season.

8 years ago today, he and I were holding hands in a courtroom in Idaho with my parents and grandparents looking on. I was skipping my college class to get married. Soon enough I'd feel the flicker of the life we'd created inside me. We'd have an intimate wedding in a quaint little church I'd gone to since I was a little girl. The same one my Grandparents were married in some fifty+ odd years before. They were the first ones to ever get married in that church! I was following the footsteps of a couple that I will forever admire. Our first had a part in that special ceremony, though we were already married- we wanted everyone we care about to hear our vows, to hear of our devotion and intense love for eachother. 4 years in the Marine Corps, 3 sons, 2 cars, and 1 little white house later, here we are!

I let him have his night. Tonight, he's not with me physically but I know he's thinking of me. Tonight I get to be the "cool wife." The wife that let him go to opening night of arena football on our anniversary. Tomorrow night is the night for the real celebration, to celebrate "us." My Aunt was sweet enough to offer to let the boys spend the night. We are just going to go out and enjoy eachother's company. 8 years later, and I still crave those nights alone with him just holding hands and catching a movie. Maybe we'll even park out behind the racetrack afterwards...Image hosting by Photobucket

1 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Happy Anniversery!!!! Your Husband sure got lucky with you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home