My Tarnished Halo

Monday, August 07, 2006

World Breastfeeding Week, August 1-7


Cute, boobs on cake. Shouldn't they come in pairs? Nevermind that, World Breastfeeding Week is coming to a close. Breastfeeding seems to be getting more and more media coverage which I think is fantastic! Behold, the Babytalk magazine cover that caused controversy here. And the gallery of photos of Mommas nursing their wee (and not so wee) little ones here. Check out what La Leche League has to say about World Breastfeeding Week here. If you have a breastfeeding question you need answered, try my all-time favorite breastfeeding resource www.kellymom.com If you clicked on just one of my links, my post served its intent which is to expose breasts for their original, divine purpose; nourishing children!

I regret I don't have any breastfeeding pictures of my own to share. I don't have a single picture of myself nursing any of the boys. It saddens me that they won't be able to look back someday and know that I gave of my own body to nourish them. We aren't talking about whipping boob out with bells on. We're talking a nice, wholesome picture that shows child gazing lovingly into mom's eyes and mom returning that adoring gaze; bonding. I know I felt it but long for a picture that represents it. I want others to be able to see that picture so they have some miniscule inkling what I felt; how content we were in those moments. I was surrounded by people that while supportive of my decision to breastfeed, still felt it something to hide and be done only in private and never, ever talked about. I learned of the benefits of extended breastfeeding too late in the game, but I have this opportunity to get the word out so that's my goal. Appreciate all that breasts can do. Celebrate breastfeeding. Hey, maybe even have some cake!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger My Baby and More said...

I love the WBW cake!!! It ROCKS!
Warmly, Colleen
www.NearMamasHeart.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home