My Tarnished Halo

Sunday, November 20, 2005

It Begins


This coming Friday or "Black Friday" is known as the official start to the Christmas shopping season and the busiest retail day of the entire year. Retailers' books switch to black (positive) versus red (negative.) Now I was trying to be a good girl all year and stash away gifts here and there when we could afford it, but (BIG BUT) isn't it like toy manufacturers to come out with the latest and greatest gadgets in the very last weeks of November? If I've stashed away anything, it's probably outdated or "uncool" by now anyway. Ya gotta get out early if you want the popular toys. They always go fast like the time Connor kicked the hamster ball (complete with hamster) across the room! I want to get my sons the gift that makes their little brown eyes light up.

Black Friday is all about strategy. If you are insane enough to wake up at the butt-crack of dawn, warm-blooded enough to stand in long-ass lines that weave around the store at 5am, and patient enough to wait in lines that make it appear as if someone ahead is giving out free money, YOU TOO CAN GET A GOOD DEAL!

I've made my list and the ads aren't even out yet! I scope Black Friday ads @ GottaDeal.com. Just type in what you are searching for and it gives you the list of stores and prices. It's nothing short of fantastic. Saves me rummaging through mounds of ads pre-sale. But it can't hold back the ravenous bargain-hungry crowds.

Last year I took the kiddos along. Can you say MISTAKE? Imagine trying to keep track of your kids amongst a pack of deal-crazed shoppers who are irate from 1) Trying to find parking 2) Standing outside in the freezing cold 3) Fighting over a limited number of specially priced items 4) Waiting in lines that you can't see the end or beginning of. I've seen carts moved, pushed, and straight up rammed on purpose. I've seen lost little kids and kids get hit by carts. I've seen two people grab the "prize" at the same time and argue it out. Cussing at cashiers, demanding to see the manager while hundreds of people frown dissapprovingly from behind, and buying up way more than ones' fair share of special merchandise. Seriously, to the woman at Fred Meyer last year with two carts full of 50% off socks- I hope you either have a family of 31 or donated them to a shelter. I would have given anything for a camera phone. These aren't your ordinary shoppers- they have the ability to be flat-out rude.

I am already searching for a kind soul to baby-sit for me Friday morning. I can get so much more done without three whining boys. They hate shopping in the first place but add the waiting and crowds and it's boys gone wild, save for they keep their clothes on, thank God!

My list has popular toys and DVD's. I'm hitting Best Buy first, and then probably Target. If I have the boys my adventure stops there. If not I will be headed to Radio Shack, Sears, and EBGames. I justify waking up early by saying "It's just once a year!" I love checking out what other folks are buying while I wait in line. I can deal with the crowds. Patience is a Black Friday shopper's virtue. Once I cross off about half my list, I'll drag my ass home and beg the baby-sitter to stay while I take a lengthy nap! If I'm lucky, the kids might even still be snoozing.

2 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Linda said...

I'll be right out there with you!!! Best Buy first. Going at 2am to stand in line for a new laptop and any other bargain. Who knows where next. I'm so excited. I'm a bargain-crazed shopper!!!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Tess said...

Good luck! I've never done the early-morning Black Friday shopping--I'm afraid to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home