My Tarnished Halo

Thursday, April 20, 2006

BOOBIES

Now that I have your attention!

I don't know why I'm always so surprised at how long I've gone in between posts. Writing is my thing! I enjoy it so much. It's my outlet but here I've been selfish keeping things inside again.

About 2 years ago after I gave birth to my last son Connor, I felt a lump in my breast. Since I was breastfeeding at the time I tucked the info discreetly into my back pocket and attributed it to changes in my breasts from nursing. I was 24. You don't hear of too many 24 years olds with breast cancer. Casually mentioned it once to the nurse-midwife who did an exam and came to the same conclusion. Nearly two years have passed and damnit that abnormal spot on my breast still has not vanished. It was still nagging. So at my yearly OB/GYN appt. a couple weeks ago, I brought it up again. This time my new doctor took note and sent me for a breast ultrasound, still reassuring me that at my age the chances that this was anything significant were very slim but we'd better be safe than sorry. Sigh of relief. Finally I would know if this tiny lump was small in physical size but gigantic by life-changing means.

This morning I went for my ultrasound. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it was nothing like my previous ultrasounds. Nothing compares to seeing a tiny, budding baby nestled in your very own uterus for the first time. This was for my health and my future. For my peace of mind. The lady who did my ultrasound wasn't one for small talk. We sat silently in the dim room as she maneuvered the wand. When she had the shots she needed, she excused herself to take the information to the radiologist. 5 minutes pass and I lay on the table with gel on my boob and the air conditioning quite cooling the gel. Maybe the radiologist was busy when she handed him my chart. 10 minutes pass and I am starting to worry. What could they be looking at? Are my breasts really that interesting? 15 minutes and I notice my heartrate has jumped up and I'm clenching my hands together. 20 agonizing minutes later she comes back with the radiologist who also needs to feel me up and they need yet more pictures of my booby. Done and done.

Results: Inconclusive. Even thought the radiologist assures me that they don't typically do this for women my age, I have a chance to be part of a special study with some new technology that's out. Instead of an ultrasound which reflects rays off the area, this other equipment sends rays through. No question, I opted to give it a try. I have to know! I'll of course let you know how it goes.

2 years have passed. I let two precious years slip by for whatever excuse I could give you here. Thankfully I haven't noticed any dramatic changes. The key is early detection. That's why I leave you with this- if you have boobies, you should be doing your monthly BSE (Breast Self-Exam). http://www.komen.org/bse/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home